WIRED Throwing Biometric Super Bowl Party

Every year, there is a burst of neuromarketing-related activity coinciding with the Super Bowl. After all, that game features commercials that people actually watch, and the cost of airing each ad is the highest of any program throughout the entire year. One staple of Super Bowl Sunday is the party – millions will be taking place around the U.S., but as far as we know, only one will have its guests wired up as they watch the commercials:

Wired Science has a distinctly different, nerdier kind of Super Bowl party planned.

We want you to come to the Wired office in San Francisco’s SoMA neighborhood to drink good beer, eat pizza — and have your biometric responses to the game and commercials measured.

We’ve partnered with research firm Innerscope, founded by social neuroscientist Carl Marci of Massachusetts General Hospital and Brian Levine, formerly of the MIT Media Lab. They’ll strap up our readers with their technology.

During the game, you’ll have your heart rate, skin moisture, movement and breathing measured by a belt-like device. That data will be aggregated to create an evaluation of what Wired.com readers thought about the commercials during the game. We’ll also be slicing and dicing the data to look for interesting correlations and patterns. [From Wired.com - Come to Wired.com’s Biometric Super Bowl Party by Alexis Madrigal.]

Sadly, I won’t be in the Bay Area on Super Sunday, but I hope that some Neuromarketing readers are able to attend and report on the event. Complete the questionnaire here if you want a chance to go to this neuro-party.

7 responses to "WIRED Throwing Biometric Super Bowl Party" — Your Turn

Verilliance
Twitter: verilliance
29. January 2010 at 8:27 pm

Oh, what fun! It will be interesting to see the results. Thanks for covering this.

Ron Wright
Twitter: Sands_Research
31. January 2010 at 11:32 am

Let me predict if you are measuring heart rate and sweaty palms, the GoDaddy.com ad will be high on the Innerscope list like last year (and I didn’t even have to be “wired” up for that insight). Danica Patrick always makes me hyper ventilate.

Pretty sad that Wired which claims to be on the cutting edge of new innovations is featuring 1960′s and 1970′s biofeedback techniques (of course updated with the latest technology in a “Home Depot” vest). Last I checked, the way into a consumer’s thoughts is not through his or her heart and hands but by measuring directly (in real-time)with the latest in cognitive neuroscience methodology. My heart might flutter but is the brand going into my long term memory?

Joe Isuzu made me laugh and I assume would have sent the biometric numbers climbing. However, I never bought his cars (and neither did the rest of America).

(P.S. Full disclosure, I am the CEO of Sands Research (www.sandsresearch.com) a cognitive neuroscience market research firm and have spent 20+ years in the field).

Cindy 8. February 2010 at 11:12 am

I am a fan of neuroscience and marketing and am glad that there be great biometric stats around the superbowl ads.

The superbowl is a common program where new products and new services come out of the woodwork and the general public suddenly becomes aware that they exist (RGB anyone?) Have there been any stats around how these new companies perform in terms of branding after their superbowl ads? Any info welcome!

Thanks,
Cindy

Cindy 8. February 2010 at 11:18 am

*reposted to my blog*
Thanks Roger!

lp99 28. April 2011 at 1:16 pm

While a survey would provide seemingly accurate results, I do suppose a biometric response survey would be even better (And slightly more expensive). NBRI

marc 19. September 2011 at 9:40 am

Hello, where could I find those Biometrical vests on sale?

19. September 2011 at 9:43 am

Good question, Marc. Anyone know?

I would think that a key part of using the biometric data effectively would be the processing/analysis algorithms.